Sunday, July 18, 2010

A favorite story from my childhood

So an Etsy team I'm in, Create Crochet, has started offering a weekly question for us to all answer on our blogs so that we can better get to know each other through our answers. This week we have all been tasked with sharing a favorite story from our childhood. For me this is a difficult question, because there's not one instance that jumps out over all the others as a favorite.
I'd have to say that the time spent with my grandmother is the thing I remember most fondly about my childhood. For those that don't already know, I was raised by my grandparents, so were a constant present in my childhood. And since they were older and more financially stable than most parents are, Grandma was able to stay home with me while I was growing up, something she hadn't always been able to do when her own children were at home. She took me to school and picked me up almost every day (especially in my elementary & middle school days). I remember that she'd so patiently listen to all my prattle on the way home from school. She always had a snack when she picked me up - usually some cheez-it crackers with some cheeze-whiz on top. LOL, looking back, I think that's one of those things that only a kid could appreciate, kind of like Chef Boyardee spaghetti - have you tried that stuff as an adult? Absolutely awful. Most days we never went straight home, we were always off to Wal Mart or the grocery store, or in later years, perhaps the mall. I remember sitting at the kitchen table when we did get home working on homework while she cooked dinner, asking for help with any questions that were too hard.
I remember that as I got older and started wanting something to do after school, Grandma enrolled me ceramics class at the Rec Center. She had done ceramics when she was younger, and she passed the appreciation of it, and various other crafts on to me. Grandma was always crafting in some way or another. In fact, I credit her with me first trying crochet. If she ever saw something at a craft store or craft sale that she liked, she could usually figure out how to make it. When I became fascinated with crochet, she bought be a book that showed the basic stitches, and hook and a skein of Red Heart yarn, and told me to go for it.
As I got even older and got more involved with band then color guard, her and Grandpa never missed a performance. She taught me everything. At least everything important. And now, there's little I like more than watching her play with my son, and get to truly enjoy being a grandparent for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment